Monday 12 February 2007

To Macaroon or not to Macaroon?

Had lunch at Ping Pong last week (and I can only describe it with one word – BLAND. The dumplings were soggy and bland, the tea - I ordered Black Jasmine tea which was supposed to be STRONG but it was bland and not to mention that they serve tea with glasses? That is so not right! I certainly didn’t understand the hype of the décor as it was bland. There wasn’t anything special with the whole place. Anyway, back to the main subject .. ) and saw Le Pain Quotidien across the road and I was absolutely thrilled. I know it’s been around London for a while but they weren’t exactly ‘conveniently’ located for me as I am not really a Notting Hill/Kensington gal. The reason I love it so much is because it’s the only place we’d go for breakfast/coffee/tea/lunch whenever we visit Brussels. I just love their bread and tarts too much.


So I went there with sis on Sat in preparation for her birthday rundown - thought it’d be a wise idea (not!!!) to stuff ourselves with endless of carbohydrates! We ordered the bread basket which is huge, with the capital H! We then went to Ladurée to pick up the birthday cake and bizarrely enough that ‘someone’ with the same name called to cancel the order on Friday?! errr, here is what I didn’t understand, I had paid for it prior to that and made it crystal clear that it was a BIRTHDAY CAKE (as per the requested birthday plate) to be picked up so why would I want to cancel it?! And the scary thing is that someone with the same name? could it be a pure coincident or it was a genuine mistake and they were just fluffing? In the end, the manager offered two mini cakes and a box of 15 or 20 macaroons. The rose petal still remains my favourite.

3 comments:

  1. where is this ping pong haha!? and where is this cafe which i'm really intrigued. pics? hmm... i do missed those macaroon If that is wat is called.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ping Pong is on Great Marlborough Street, 2 mins away from Liberty's. and yes, I will definitely take you to Laduree when you are here next time! I promise you will love the macaroons and the desert! They are just heavvven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so nice the cakes... yummmmm...
    and looking at the pics its oledi 'delish'.

    ReplyDelete