Wednesday 25 April 2007

Taiwan IV - Food, Food and More Food

The effect of the prominent food culture in Taiwan seems to have left obvious trail on someone. Well, to be fair, the amount of food that someone wolfed down bounds to pay off.

I am not criticising at all as I am happy that he enjoyed the food there and hence the quantity of food was consumed. Oops, did I say he? Oh, dear – sorry Tao, I didn’t mean it! Though one thing I do need to point out is the pearl milk tea which is T’s absolute favourite. He would have one before lunch; one after lunch; one in the late afternoon and one after dinner. (yes, I do know how calorific they are !)

I don't really need to introduce the famous niu rou mian, but we did discover something that I didn’t know about and apparently it’s been around since 1950! It was some sort of specially cooked & smoked goose with noodles/vermicelli in Ximending. According to the duck expert, it was the BEST ever bird he'd tasted!!!
However, Tao didn't enjoy Ding Tai Fong. To quote - '’the food was okay, nothing spectacular; didn't really have the wow factor!’' Well, I enjoyed my shitake mushroom dumplings as well as redbean dumplings - they are my all-time favourites.

Nevertheless, we utterly thoroughly adored the meal we had at 雞家莊 the day before we left. Traditional Taiwanese cuisine, just by looking at them now makes me dribble.

Here's the spicy steam pot we had with the girls.
To be honest, we had so much food that I just can’t name them all. All I would say is that we had some serious indulgence.

I just want to say huge thank-yous to Benson, Chasel, Ming, Kuan, Joyce and Andrew. If it wasn’t for you guys, our trip would not be as enchanting as it was.
Thanks again and we looking forward to seeing you very soon!

2 comments:

  1. duck? wat duck?:? in the beef noodle??

    london got pearl milk tea so now no more starbucks lah huh hahaha..so diy lah.. welll ...milk tao for the pearl and then u add to the tea muahahahah!

    oooi rmb ding tai fong.

    hei...i always tell myself this: if you get hmm...love handles or FAT. at the very least i got it due to the fact tat i ate GOOD YUMMY food rather than junk food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not in the beef noodle la,a complete seperate kind of dish.
    I know pearl milk tea is available here but they are no where near the qualities in Taiwan...
    True...I should be proud of those love handles on him actually, at least they represent that the person has been well looked after! hahaha

    ReplyDelete